I am vain and aging which is quite the knicker-knotting combination if ever there was one.
There’s nothing like looking in the mirror and realizing all the body insecurities I had at twenty had nothing over what I’m dealing with in my forties.
My body insecurities sting my vanity chakra in a different kind of way in my forties than they did in my twenties. The after effect of witnessing them is more like a punch in the gut than a slap that had me fighting back in retaliation, “I’ll show them.” There’s not much you can do for an ass that insists on doing toe touches. Let’s face it, no amount of exercise or carb removal can reverse that, besides, I don’t believe in fighting aging. It’s a battle we cannot ultimately win.
But, if I could have a do-over for the way I treated my body in my twenties, I’d do a few things differently knowing what I know now.
Here’s five ways I’d treat my body differently:
- I’d have shed my clothes upon the beach of Bondi like a hooker getting paid for it. I’d have honored my Maltese hips, back curves and round thighs in a bathing suit, wasting no time worrying about what others thought of me.
- My personality would have defined the clothes I wore, embracing my body’s uniqueness and combining it with my feisty spirit instead of defining it with a label or particular design out of fear that I wouldn’t fit in. No, bugger that, I’d wear my garments like a peacock on parade. It turns out beauty is in being yourself after all everyone else is taken.
- I’d have worked more at lightening-the-f*&k-up, creating peace from within than changing my body size with the next best diet. I’ve discovered laughter, peacefulness and happiness are the essence of true beauty.
- I’d have worn lingerie in the bedroom and played out the naughty little minx that I fantasized about being but was too scared to feel foolish. The unfathomable dimples on my thighs at the age of twenty were nothing compared to the orange peel of my forties. In my forties, I’ve discovered sexy is an attitude, not a skin texture.
- I’d have left the Jones’s in my dust and instead I’d be a trailblazer body embracer, hyena laughing, fashion defying, lingerie lover twenty-year-old, that on occasion could be seen at the beach stripping her clothes for all to enjoy.
Cheers to doing all the above in my forties!